Here are some simple tips that will help keep your children safe around open windows:
- Accidents happen when young children play near open windows and there's no adult around. If the window is open more than a few inches, make sure that an adult is supervising the children at all times.
- Screens will not keep your kids from falling out of windows.
- Move furniture away from windows, so that if children were to fall while climbing on the furniture, they will not fall out of the window (open or closed).
- Never place a child's crib or bed near the window or window blinds.
- Don't allow your children to play around windows, even if they are closed.
- If you are replacing windows, install ones that can open from the top, instead of the bottom.
- Remove window crank handles from casement windows to help prevent children from opening them.
- Cords from window blinds should be kept out of children's reach.
- Consider purchasing window guards to help keep your children safe. Look for window guards that can be easily opened by adults and older children in case of a fire.
For more information and resources, visit www.CTParenting.com